- 1 Day Photography Workshop (Stranger Portraits)
- Level: Beginner & Intermediates
- Location: London Bridge
- 10am - Talk by Andrew at London Grind
- 11am - Photowalk with tuition
- 1pm - Photo review at pub
The course aims to give participants a good introduction to the shooting portraits of strangers on the street.
My objectives are for you to be able to approach strangers and and produce a great set of street portraits. I'll help you control your camera to take well exposed and sharp photos, give advice on using available light and selecting good locations for your images.
For this course we meet at a coffee shop near London Bridge train station where I give a talk about street portraits and you will have a chance to ask questions too.
In addition to the theory we will also be going on a photowalk around London. We will take our time on the walk and I anticipate this to take approximately 2.5 hours.
On the walk I will be setting your various tasks to take street portraits, this will require you to use the correct settings for the perfect exposure and I’m always on hand to help.
The course doesn't finish there, we'll re-group in a pub and download up to 36 of your best images to a tablet or laptop and do a feedback session.
You should have at least a basic knowledge of your camera settings to do this course, although settings recommendations will be given.
We will learn about...
- How to approach your subjects
- What camera settings to use
- Using available light
- Selecting locations for your photos
The de-brief session...
- Image review (slideshow) and critique session
- 1 DAY PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
- COURSE NOTES
- FEEDBACK SESSION
- FOLLOW UP EMAIL TO ANSWER QUESTIONS
SUITABILITY & GROUP INFO
- PHOTOGRAPHIC ABILITY: INTERMEDIATE WITH SLR OR CSC (MIRRORLESS)*
- FITNESS: ABILITY TO WALK 3 MILES SLOWLY
- MINIMUM AGE: 18 (14 IF ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT)
- LANGUAGE COURSE IS CONDUCTED IN: ENGLISH
*This course is for people who have at least a basic knowledge of their camera settings and who either use a digital SLR or Mirrorless/Compact System Camera.
The course starts at 10am with a meeting at a London Grind coffee shop, 2 London Bridge. At this meeting I will give an introduction to the day and hand out some course notes for you to keep.
At 11.00pm we will head out on a photowalk with tuition as we go. I will spend time with each individual and there will be lots of time to ask questions as we go.
We will arrive back at Borough Market around 1.30pm. This is your chance to grab something to eat from one of the many food stalls in the market or if you prefer you can head straight to the pub where we will do our review session and eat there.
After everyone has had a bite to eat and a chance to edit down their images to 36 shots, we will re-group with a de-brief meeting at The Mud Lark, where we will do an image review session. I will show your photos direct from your camera's memory card so if your camera uses something other than an SD card please let me know so I can bring the appropriate card reader.
The day will finish at 3.30pm.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
- A camera: a Digital SLR (DSLR) or Mirrorless/Compact System Camera
- Lens (Primes or Zoom - focal lengths around the 28-70mm usually work best)
- A Fully charged battery and spare if you have one
- An empty memory card
- A pen and pad to make some notes
- Some money for lunch/drinks
The course starts at 10am with a meeting at London Grind, 2 London Bridge. At this meeting I will give an introduction to the day and hand out some course notes for you to keep.
The easiest way to get to Borough Market is by train and both London Bridge underground and mainline station take you right there.
This course can be purchased for yourself but it also makes an ideal gift. Please let me know when booking if it is a present so I can arrange for a gift voucher to be sent to you. There is no additional cost for a voucher but if you would like a presentation box for your voucher this can be arranged at a cost of £4.
Terms & Conditions
Any courses booked cannot be refunded or exchanged.
Any courses booked are non transferable.
For full terms and conditions please visit the T&Cs page