Back to All Events

Photoclub Creative London (August 2017 - January 2018)

• The Mudlark Montague Close London (map)
© John Parker - For the 'Film Stills' assignment.

© John Parker - For the 'Film Stills' assignment.

BOOKING

OVERVIEW

• 6 month Creative Photography Course
  • Level: All levels
  • Location: The Mudlark, Borough Market, London
  • Group size: 6-10 People

STRUCTURE

• 7.00pm (Wednesdays) - Meeting in the pub
  • 5 Creative Assignments
  • Video Feedback on your images
  • Prints of your images
  • Free weekend workshop (May not be in London)

This is a 6 month creative photography course with 6 meetings at The Mudlark pub in Borough Market, London.

Photoclub Creative is a fun, social and creative way of pushing your photography to the next level.

Each month you will be challenged to produce photographs to a creative assignment. We will discuss the assignment at length in the pub meetings and you will have approximately 1 month to complete the task.

I will give you constructive feedback on your images in the form of a video screencast, I record my voice whilst viewing your images in Adobe Lightroom, this will help you improve both technically and creatively.

At the next meeting we will watch a slideshow of everyone's images and then discuss the next assignment.

There are 5 creative assignments and 6 meetings in total and everyone receives prints of their images.

MEETING DATES:

The Mudlark in Borough Market
Meetings start at 7.00pm and run until 8.45pm at latest.

The meeting dates are:

1. Wednesday 30th August 2017 - 7.00pm
  2. Wednesday 27th September 2017 - 7.00pm
  3. Wednesday 25th October 2017 - 7.00pm
  4. Wednesday 22nd November 2017 - 7.00pm
  5. Wednesday 20th December 2017 - 7.00pm
  6. Wednesday 24th January 2018 - 7.00pm

ITINERARY:

Every month you will be given a creative photography assignment. These are sent by email and are a link to my website with a password. The assignments are always written in such a way to push you creatively but also to hopefully teach you something technical along the way. There will be 5 assignments in total.

Once enrolled, you will be part of a 6 month long creative photography course that meets once a month at The Mudlark pub at Borough Market, London.

Every member will be invited to a private Facebook group and I would encourage you to share your work-in-progress, your thoughts and generally bounce ideas around. This group is used for my Photoclub and Photoclub online groups who are all doing the same assignments.

At the end of every month you will submit 5 of your best images. Deciding on those 5 can be difficult and again maybe the Facebook group will be a good resource to help you with that. Submitting your images is easy, we get you set up with a free Dropbox account and it's a simple as copying and pasting your images in to a folder.

When I receive your images I will produce a video of myself talking over your images and offering advice on how to improve. This critique/feedback is something that has proved very successful and useful to members. The video will appear back in your Dropbox folder just a few days after you submit.

After you receive your feedback you will also receive the next assignment and we get started all over again. There will be 5 assignments in total, you will be given the last assignment on the 5th month and on the 6th month to receive you final feedback.

You will also receive 6x4 inch prints of your 5 submitted photos.

One member of the group will receive a 12x8 enlargement of one of their images, we call this the 'commended print'. It's certainly not a competition but I just select one image that has caught be eye and give that print to the photographer.

We also do a slideshow of everyone's images whilst in the pub.

PERKS

• 10% DISCOUNT ON 121 TUITION
  • FREE WEEKEND WORKSHOP TIED IN WITH ONE OF THE ASSIGNMENTS

ABILITY LEVEL:

This workshop is for beginners and intermediates who have who wish to gain a better understanding of their camera.

CAMERA:

You can participate in this course with virtually any camera, as it's mainly about the creative side of photography. However it would be beneficial if you were using an SLR, Bridge or CSC. If you are unsure at all please do not hesitate to contact me via the contact page.

BOOKING:

Booking can be done safely and securely through the website by purchasing above. Alternatively we can invoice you via email and payment can be made by bank transfer, please contact us if you would prefer this method.

SUITABILITY:

This course is for any age or gender of participant. We generally seem to get a pretty wide range of ages and a good mix of male and female participants. Participants under 16 years of age would need to be accompanied by an adult.

WHAT WILL YOU NEED?

• A camera: Ideally an SLR, CSC or Bridge Camera.
  • A computer to download and manage your photos
  • Adobe Lightroom software for your computer (useful but not essential)
  • A mobile device such as a phone or tablet (useful but not essential)
  • A pen and pad to make some notes in the pub
  • Some money for drinks at the pub

LOCATION

The course starts at 7.00pm at The Mudlark pub.

GETTING THERE

The nearest mainline railway station and tube is London Bridge. The pub is just a minutes walk.

IDEAL PRESENT

This course can be purchased for yourself but it also makes an ideal gift. Please let me know when booking if it is a present so I can arrange for a gift voucher to be sent to you. There is no additional cost for a voucher but if you would like a presentation box for your voucher this can be arranged at a cost of £4.

FAQs:

Q – Do I need to attend all meetings and complete all the assignments?
A – No you don't, but the more you can attend the more it will benefit both you and the group.

Q – I only have a compact camera, but love photography, can I join?
A – Yes, there are no restrictions based on the type of camera you own.

Q – I only shoot film, can I join?
A – Yes. However, to review your photos you will need to provide high resolution digital scans.

Q – How many people will be in the group?
A – Up to 10 individuals in the group.

Terms & Conditions
Any courses booked cannot be refunded or exchanged.
Any courses booked are non transferable.
For full terms and conditions please visit the
T&Cs page

I’m confident that I can help you improve your photography, but don’t take my word for it, read what my clients have said about my courses.

TESTIMONIALS

Alison Hall
Course attended:
PHOTOCLUB IN THE PUB (LEWES)

I have been participating in this 6-month course since August 2012 and have found it to be both fun and inspiring.

Andrew is very approachable and is able to cater for all abilities (I am at the beginner end of the spectrum).

The class is quite informal and we share images with classmates at each meeting which is reallyinteresting.

As the meetings are monthly, it leaves time to do each of the varied 'tasks' even if you have a busy schedule. The private Facebook Group gives a sense of community between meetings and you can post for feedback on photos or to ask advice. Everyone is friendly.

I am learning a lot but feel like it is at a pace dictated by my own interests and time.

Alison Hall

...

Susanna Daniel
Course attended:
PHOTOCLUB IN THE PUB (ERIDGE)

I took one of Andy's six month Photoclub in the pub courses and really enjoyed it. I have only dabbled in photography and don't even have a fancy camera, but that didn't matter; Andrew sets assignments that puts you out of your comfort zone and forces you to take pictures that you would never otherwise think of taking. For that reason alone it is great; really makes you think and see things in a different way.

The feedback was always really useful and we could learn as much of the technical side of things as we wanted.

Meeting in the pub once a month is a great idea as it makes it all less formal and easy to talk about the assignment, and photography in general.

I would recommend this course to anyone, whether you are a total beginner or an experienced photographer.

Susanna Daniel

...

Liz Cottingham
Course attended:
PHOTOCLUB IN THE PUB (ERIDGE & LEWES)

Great club. Lots of practical advice and inspiration.

I enjoyed the monthly tasks which were supported by excellent source material. A really inspiring alternative to conventional camera clubs I have been to.

Liz Cottingham